Be Thou An Example

I was talking with a friend the other day about the goals I have for the new year (also, a goal post coming soon)! I definitely have goals but I'm also trying not to set too many because I'll be welcoming the new year with my first baby.

One goal that I'm constantly thinking about, especially since I'll be a mother soon, is my spirituality. There is so much in that aspect of my life that is lacking. I know things get in the way and life throws us for a loop sometimes but I know that I can still do and be better about my spirituality.

When I was in high school, I attended a youth "camp" or conference, I guess you could call it, during the summer called EFY. The theme for the youth of the Church that year was "Be Thou An Example" being pulled from the scripture in 1 Timothy 4:12. I have reflected back on that verse many times in my life, especially during my teenage years. As I was talking with my friend about my goals, I kept going back to this scripture.

Am I being an example of the believers? Am I being an example in general? One thing that has been weighing heavily on my mind is how I'm going to teach my child about Jesus Christ and how I want to raise her in the Church. It's a big responsibility to lead and guide someone down the path of faith you love and believe in. I pray each day that I'll be able to do my best to teach her of our Savior and His life.

Here's a little throwback picture for you of my group at EFY.

There are so many things that I want to be better on that I am going to try my best to do in the coming year. It's also okay to set goals for January 1st and it's okay to set goals and start today! To each their own.

I want to truly participate in Come, Follow Me by sitting down to study each Sunday with my husband. I want to read in the scriptures each day, whether that includes a journal or not. I want to attend church each Sunday whether we're out of town visiting family or in our own ward. I want to participate in Fast Sunday each month (being pregnant, I haven't been able to) and truly try to focus on the blessing it is in my life. I want to love my daughter and teach her of the Savior and His love for her however I can do that. I would also love to increase my temple attendance but that might be a little rough to do with a newborn but I know it's doable!

I know that sometimes I put pressure on myself to be the best and to be perfect and all God wants is the effort. I need to step back and just remember to take it one day at a time and that's okay. God knows the intentions of my heart and that I love Him but it's also okay to want to do better.

May the Lord bless you in your spirituality today and in 2020.




No comments