Did We Know Him?

"Well Done” by Del Parson

 One time I attended an Institute class about Jesus Christ and the Everlasting Gospel. We began by turning to The Living Christ and a few scriptures in the Book of Mormon. The teacher asked us two questions when the class first began.

Who is Jesus Christ? and Why do you believe in him?

I remember everyone just kind of hesitantly looking at each other. I let a few other classmates go first because I knew we only had so much time. I shared that I believe in him because he believes in me. Simple, and probably a generic answer but we didn't have much time.

At the end of the class, my teacher shared a quote by Joseph Smith Jr.

“At the first organization in heaven we were all present and saw the Savior chosen and appointed and the plan of salvation made, and we sanctioned it” (Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith [2007], 209)

After reading this my teacher explained something along the lines of: "here is this man... who stepped forward to atone for ALL of our sins." And then he said, "Did we even know him?" Which is where this blog post comes in.

Did we know Jesus Christ? Did we know anything about him? What made us agree that he be the one to come down to earth and make the ultimate sacrifice if we didn't know him? Which brings me full circle to the first question we were asked that night.

Who is Jesus Christ? And why do you believe in Him? Being able to bear testimony of our Savior while also pondering the thought that we may not have even known him is kind of cool! I'm not even sure if any of this is making sense, but it really hit me that night.

Jesus Christ is the Son of God. He is my best friend, my Redeemer, my Heartache healer... He is so much of my life. It is because of his selfless act that I am able to pray to my Father in Heaven and ask for forgiveness, help, and comfort. I feel of Gods love for me and I know that he is there because of His Beloved Son, my Advocate.

I love this photo by Del Parsons. I feel so comforted looking at it. What a wonderful man Jesus Christ is! I want to take into action what President Russell M. Nelson did when he read every single thing about Jesus Christ in the scriptures. If you don't know what I'm talking about, click here. I want to come to know my Savior even better and more than I do now... scripturally and personally.

I love my Savior. I know that He lives. I know that He loves me, believes in me and supports me in all that I do. It is because of Him that I can be happy in this life and the life hereafter. And I know that He can do the same for you.




No comments