SALT: An LDS Women's Retreat

I don't even know how to begin this blog post. There is so much on my mind that I want to share about SALT!

I discovered SALT on Instagram but didn't attend any events until this most recent one. It's a retreat for LDS Women (or really any woman that would like to attend, member or not) and it's amazing. Like, there aren't enough words to describe how incredible this event was.

Two days before the event took place, I had sort of a mental breakdown. I was feeling really crappy, sad, and just upset with how my life was going. I felt terrible and ashamed of the type of disciple I was. Lots of unhappy thoughts circled my mind and I oddly felt a huge wave of gratitude knowing that SALT was just two days away. I couldn't have needed it more.


The night before they do a SALT Create Workshop night. There are a few workshops offered and you can pay extra to attend them. I purchased a ticket to the Marriage workshop by Jan with @rootedandrising_ and it was so. good. I have followed Jan's account for a while now and really happy that I decided to go to her class last minute. When I first discovered Jan's account, I finally felt a huge relief that someone else was struggling in their marriage. I wasn't alone. I had grown up picturing marriage to be a certain way and when it was turning out that way, I felt so alone. But this workshop really helped and I learned something really valuable that I'm going to try and implement in my life. Thank you, Jan!




The next morning it started early. We checked in, got our SWAG bags (you can watch my video review here) and found a seat at a table. The opening speaker was really great! She spoke on the Atonement of Jesus Christ and how it applies to our life outside of sin. It was really great! We also opened the event with a hymn and a prayer. The hymn was How Great Thou Art and I almost cried. I love that song and it was so beautiful to be in a room full of powerful women singing this song. I loved it!

After we had a breakout session where we could attend one of the two classes offered. I went to a class about being a warrior of truth and light, a warrior for God. We also talked a lot about our identity and our divine calling. We're so much more than the materialistic things of the world. It was so good. The teacher was freakin' hilarious and I'm really happy that I went. I felt so proud to know that I'm a Daughter of a King and I have been chosen to be a warrior in His army!



We had another breakout session but I wasn't really interested in either of the classes and their topics so I picked one and just kind of took a break for about an hour. After that, we had lunch, which consisted of sandwiches and soup. It was really good. So grateful that lunch was included! After we had another breakout session and I picked a class on creating your life. Seems like your typical "here's how to be artsy in life" but it wasn't that at all! It was about making specific choices in life that creates the life we ultimately want and the one that God has planned for us. It was great!

After we did our roundtable discussion. Now, I have no idea what a roundtable discussion is so I was like... what are we doing? Haha basically there were like so many tables with someone(s) discussing a certain topic and we could sit and listen for like 35 minutes each time. We could sit at three different tables during this part of the event. I chose to go to a table discussing how to make time for what you love. I have been wanting to start this blog which, this roundtable discussion is where the inspiration stemmed from. It was really neat and impactful and I'm grateful for it.

The next table I sat at was on record keeping. I journaled a lot when I was younger. Then when I got older, I turned to blogging and noticed that I preferred to type over handwriting. I occasionally still handwrite but my fingers move faster than my hand. Lol, does that even make sense? It was really neat and I'm glad that I love blogging! The last table I visited was one about women getting into the word of God on our own. Family study is great, couple study is great but independent study is also really great. We kind of did some studying together and then shared with each other some tips about creating personal scripture study. It was really great!!


 Our closing speaker was the most incredible story I've listened to. Not a dry eye in the house! Her name is Kim and she shared her story about battling cancer and how God is in every single detail of her journey and life. It was incredible and I was really able to do some reflecting on finding God in the details of my life and how I need to work harder to pay better attention to those small details. It was so good! After that, we had about a 30-minute break while they cleaned up the main room for our closing speaker and we got to socialize and hang out and go to the bathroom and all of that good stuff. I met some really amazing people and I was really brave and introduced myself to a lot of people that I didn't know or didn't know me. Or that I knew but only from the internet. It was so great and I loved all of it!



We had a couple of AMAZING musical performances and I was just completely blown away. It was so good. This post has kind of gotten to be really long but I'm just so happy that I went. I had no expectations going into this. I didn't have any questions written down, or things I was trying to search for. I just tried my hardest to just be there and sit in the inspiration and goodness of God. It was amazing to be around other women who were to just learn more of Christ and his love for us. I just left with so much inspiration and hope and felt so loved while I was there. I didn't have a care in the world about anything. I had some really good conversations with people that meant a lot to me and have influenced my decision to create this blog. I don't know where it'll take me or what it'll turn into but I'm glad that it's here.

I love my Savior Jesus Christ. I love my Heavenly Father. I have my questions and my doubts. I have my concerns and struggles. But I also know, 100000000% that I love my Savior. I love God. I love my Heavenly Parents and the gospel that my life is centered around. Now, could it be a little more centered? Absolutely. I even remember the next day, I was at home and I could feel all of the regular anxieties and emotions and insecurities that come from my regular life and I could feel the high of the weekend slipping away. I didn't want it to! I panicked. But then I remembered what I learned and to remain calm because of the things I know. I'm not the smartest or the perfect person but I'm just striving to be more like my Savior and to love all of those around me.

SALT was incredible and I’m grateful for it. Thanks Elise!


Have you attended a SALT event before? Have you attended a retreat similar to it? 
Share your experiences in the comments below!

No comments