Personal Scripture Tabs

Now that we've got our General Conference quote posts out of the way ;) Let's talk personal scripture study!!



During my personal scripture study, I had the thought to share about these sticky tabs I have in my scriptures. I currently study with the journaling edition of the Book of Mormon (loving it!) but I use my original scripture set to write any thoughts or impressions that I wrote way back when or to expand on a verse or something.

Back in junior high, I went highlighter crazy in my scriptures. I would highlight (and I'm talking with an actual neon highlighter) any verse shared in Seminary or church or if I saw it shared somewhere... whether it meant something to me or not. *Cue the eye roll* I am terrified for people to see those pages in my scriptures because to me it's embarrassing even though it really doesn't matter.

In high school, I started using these post-it type sticky tabs. They're colored but translucent. I would write a quick phrase or topic on the edge and stick it on the edge of the page next to the verse or draw an arrow or write the verse number if it wasn't directly on the outside of the page. I couldn't stop and started marking all kinds of verses for different things.

I did this mostly because if I needed some comfort quick or needed to share a spiritual thought somewhere, I wanted to have quick access to a good verse or something that would carry me through the night if I needed it. I love this addition to my scriptures. It's personal and I refer to them all of the time. Sometimes I'll read it and remember when I marked it or why I marked that one. It's so fun to go back and see my markings and notes and what was important to me to remember at a certain point in my life.

As I transfer some of these markings and notes over to my journaling edition, I can't help but want to encourage you to make your own scripture tabs. This a cheap and simple way to personalize your scripture study and it's fun! You can write whatever you want on the tab to help you remember why you marked that scripture without having to actually open up your scriptures. AND this makes for great conversation starters. I've had many people ask me what the tabs are for, or just to take a look at it. I don't share that to say, "wow look at me!" but honestly, it has helped me talk about my love for the scriptures more and it has helped me share some meaningful insights and verses with those around me.

What have you added to your scripture study to personalize it?


No comments